With quarantine in effect for many of us, being intimate as often as you normally are might be an issue. Having intercourse offers many health benefits so you may be concerned that part of your life has had to come to a sudden halt. Having intercourse can offer feelings of warmth and connection, boost your immune system, and help you burn calories, but it’s not the only way to get these benefits. Surprisingly there are quite a few positives to refraining from intercourse for a long period of time.
Here are some benefits:
- You can build strong emotional connections if you’re quarantined away from your partner.
- You have time to reconnect you with yourself
- If you’re someone who uses intimacy to avoid dealing with other problems in your life, this can help you finally face and work through them.
- You can prioritize sleep and self-care over physical satisfaction.
- It can teach you to practice emotional regulation, such as journaling how you’re feeling instead of escaping.
- It can encourage you to find a physical activity to help you release tension and stress.
- You can learn how to increase your own body awareness and pleasure without pressuring yourself to please someone else.
- You remove the fear of contracting STD’s.
- You lower your risk for UTI’s and yeast infections.
- You can strengthen relationships with friends and family that might have fallen by the wayside during your romantic conquests.