Yoga is often used to help aid in mental and spiritual health, but what if I told you that it may improve your bedroom skills as well? Yoga is a great way for us to become even more satisfied with our bodies, improve blood flow and circulation, as well as helping us to stay in the present moment.
Caroline Layzell, a certified 500-hour yoga instructor who teaches in Bali, says, “We learn to integrate the mind, body, heart, and soul [with yoga]. When you learn to tap into self-love and acceptance, our inhibitions simply melt away. Self-doubt, body insecurities, and wondering how you are performing or what your partner may be thinking simply wash away.”
Below are yoga poses to improve physical intimacy with your partner. Ready to get started? Let’s go!
One of the more basic yoga poses, the “Bridge gives an intense hip flexor stretch, which is great for all-around flexibility, while also toning the pelvic muscles and intensifying orgasms,” Layzell says. “The higher the legs are, the more energy will circulate in your body, heightening sensations.”
Instructions: Lying on your back, bend your knees and place the feet hip-width apart. Reach the hips and heart toward the sky, bringing your hands to support your lower back.
The sphinx pose can help you feel more aligned with your chakras (especially your heart chakra).
Instruction: Lie on your stomach with the legs extended behind you and the hands resting next to your chest. Raise the head, chest, and ribs from the mattress and extend the heart forward.
If you are doing this with a partner:
Coming to a comfortable shape, open up your heart to the moment as he mirrors your position from behind. Notice how this pose allows you to align your chakras, increasing the intimacy.
Prop yourself up on your elbows above her, bringing your hearts in alignment as you gently circle your hips around, bringing you both to a whole new level of pleasure and intimacy.
The butterfly pose is great for low libido and helps to increase flexibility in the hips. Layzell says, “It improves blood flow to the pelvic area immediately, and where the blood goes, so does the energy and vitality. Circulation and increased blood flow are directly linked to the level of arousal.”
- Bring soles of your feet together, bending knees and allowing them to drop towards the floor.
- Hold onto toes with both hands. Inhale, lengthen the torso. Exhale, hinge forward from hips. Aim is to lower head towards toes. This pose can also be done lying flat on your back in a reclined position.
- Hold the pose.
The spinal twist helps to detox the body. When done with a partner, it can be a great way to increase the emotional connection and physical intimacy.
- Lie on your back
- draw your knees to your chest
- gently twist your body
Have your partner mirror your position from behind you or have them do the sphinx pose while you do the spinal twist.
Happy Baby is also great for low libido. Layzell says, “It improves blood flow to the pelvic area, allows a deeper, more vigorous experience, and puts your man completely in control with deep access to some of those fabulously wonderful special places for the female orgasm.”
Throw your legs above your head, feet facing the sky, and bring your knees close to your ears. Hold onto your toes and hold this position.
This pose helps to boost your confidence and also helps to tone the muscles. According to Layzell, it also helps to calm the mind, making you focus more on the present moment.
- Take feet hip-width apart, drawing heels towards the floor. With hands spread wide at top of the mat, tailbone draws towards the back of the mat, lengthening through the spine and creating an inverted V shape.
- Draw shoulders away from ears, relax the neck.
- Hold for five to 10 breaths.
The pigeon pose is good for releasing any tension in the hips as well as relaxing your mind.
- Bring left shin parallel to the top of the mat, drawing heel closer to the groin.
- Bring the right leg into a straight line behind you.
- Slowly lower down to forearms, rest head in arms, a block, or onto the mat.
- Hold for 10 breaths before moving to the other side.