We all know them–they have an answer for everything. What you have to say doesn’t really matter, unless of course, you agree with their point of view.
How do you deal with these people so you get your equal share of “talk-time” and the respect you deserve?
Here are some things to say to them on-the-spot. Next time they are going on and on…try one of these:
1. Let them speak and as they start to repeat themselves say, stop them and say, “Did you ever consider?” Keep going and give a long example. If they are not the only one in the conversation, ask the other person for feedback.
2. Tailor your response to the topic in question to things they have already said. Before you offer something new, lead with a sentence they have already used. Quote them exactly if you can.
3. When you jump in, use them as examples to support your point. Actually, flatter them in some way.
4. If you agree with one of their points, build off that to introduce something entirely new.
5. Attack them head on, “John, you have been talking for at least twenty minutes, time to hear from someone else.”