Turning our mate into our soulmate is a process that requires daily attention, if not the occasional minute-by-minute effort when we must remember to choose love. Choosing love is when we realize that our partner’s happiness is as important to us as our own happiness and that we are committed to sharing with that person our appreciation, affection and attention….When we find ourselves noticing or even obsessing about our partner’s imperfections, we remember to stop and manage our thoughts and reframe them in a positive manner….
The lessons learned from happy couples are simple, yet the results can be life-changing.
1. Express your love and affection–often.
2. Show care. It’s the little gestures that mean everything.
3. Learn to love what your partner loves, so you can participate in some of his or her passions.
4. Practice vulnerability and share yourself with authenticity and honesty, always with tremendous love, kindness and generosity.
5. Remember to find the beauty and perfection in the imperfection.
Adapted from Turn Your Mate Into Your Soulmate by Arielle Ford.