We all have those functions that we have to attend with family…but what happens when one or a few members push our “buttons.”
How do we deal so we are not labeled the black sheep.
These tips might help.
1. Keep your distance. You know the people who will try to get you going. Stay away from them. Don’t give them the satisfaction of getting you upset.
2. Have compassion. Anyone who “teases you” or “picks on you” or asks you “dumb questions” doesn’t feel good about themselves. Cut them some slack.
3. Remember why you are with your family. It probably isn’t just out of obligation, there are many good moments you’ve shared with them. Keep that in mind.
4. The grass looks greener. If the Green Eyed Monster surfaces JEALOUSY…know that you are not seeing the full story. Of course, some things look fabulous, but you don’t know their challenges.
5. You are never going to change them so don’t try. You can’t change someone who doesn’t see any problem with their actions. Chances are they don’t! So don’t waste your valuable energy trying. Instead, do something good for yourself.
Remember, above all, to be KIND.