By Deborah Asseraf
We know how ice-solating the job market can be right now, but don’t worry, there are paths you can take to heat things up:
Looking for a job that demands your sharp business skills and creativity? In product management, you’ll be creating, managing and marketing an assigned product line. Though the field is competitive, you’ll thrive if you work well in high-energy environments.
Brains: May require a bachelor’s degree and at least 4 years of experience in the field.
Pay off: With advertising being one of the top grossing industries in the nation, this field can be a launching pad to other high-end marketing jobs. Job growth in the next 10 years is 21% — incredibly enticing!
Median Pay: $90,100
- Research Universities in your area offering BA degree in Business management.
- Build upon your experience through internships.
- Enhance your degree with a certification from the Association of International Product Marketing and Management (AlPMM).
Source: CNN Money
Talk about a guaranteed job: the Bureau of Labor Statistics expects the demand for nurses to be way above average for all occupations through 2014. With the ability to treat patients in major hospitals, health establishments and/or their homes, you can enjoy flexibility. You will also be responsible for evaluating, implementing and documenting nursing care for your patients.
Brains: Requires an associates degree and certification as a registered nurse.
Pay off: Generous but not selfless, being a staff nurse can lead to significant career growth! With an expected 29% job growth in the next 10 years, there is job security.
Median Pay: $59,800
- Colorado Technical University – Flexible Associates Program with Online courses available
- Virginia College – Financial planning options as well as flexible online courses
- Phillips Beth Israel School of Nursing –One of the most reputable nursing schools in New York
Source: CNN Money
Think personal trainer plus business management skills. A good fit for you? As a fitness instructor you may be managing and ensuring that all health club personnel are properly trained on the use of the facility’s exercise equipment. On the creative end of things, you would responsible for developing fitness workouts and programs for clients.
Brains: Requires personal trainer and CPR certifications and 2-4 years experience in the field or in a related area. Bachelor’s degree in area of specialty is optional.
Pay-off: Look good, feel good and educate others on how to stay fit and healthy–this job is equally rewarding and fulfilling. And with a foreseen job growth of 27% in the next 10 years, this is a good field to invest all your energy in.
Median Pay: $49,400
- Research Personal Training and CPR certification programs near your area.
- Attend various fitness classes and focus on the types of dance or fitness you enjoy the most –don’t limit yourself to just one!
- Inquire at local gyms to see if they are hiring new instructors. If they are not, include yourself on their substitute instructors list –anything that gets one foot in the door helps!
Source: CNN Money
With virtual communication becoming a major part of our lives, web developing opportunities keep increasing exponentially. As a web developer you’ll be generating, developing and maintaining layout, navigation and communication of internet websites.
Brains: Associates degree in Web Development optional. Strong knowledge of HTML, GUI, CSS, XHTML, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Fireworks are required.
Pay off: With the advertisement and information industries booming, the internet is following steadily alongside as a useful method of communication. With a 29.4% job growth foreseen in the next 10 years, consider applying your tech savvy capabilities to this growing industry!
Median Pay: $60,090
- Be sure to purchase beginner guides to required software knowledge mentioned above –there’s no shame in starting from scratch!
- Look into software certification courses either online of offered by universities in your area.
Source: Career Cast