Either you are one, or you know one, or both. Highly sensitive people are the deepest, kindest people, however, they can turn on you in the blink of an eye if they feel threatened. They can misinterpret what you say, or take it personally, whatever the case, they can be difficult to deal with. Here are some tips to gain their trust.
1. Use touch. If you use words that can be misunderstood, make sure to show how you really feel with gestures. Touching them on the shoulder or reaching out for their hand (if appropriate) can do wonders.
2. Understand them from the “get-go.” Beware aware of how they can take things and choose your words wisely. It’s an added precaution that can help avoid conflict.
3. Forgive, forgive, forgive. Don’t be quick to judge them if their reaction is off. It can get frustrating when they don’t understand what you really meant and take it the wrong way, but you are bigger than that.
4. Praise them a lot. “Let something good be said and let it begin with me…” I have heard this often in spiritual settings, and it works all the time. Everyone wants to know what they are doing right. It doesn’t cost a thing to acknowledge their strengths. And it will make them feel good.
5. See the trait in you. You probably have a degree of sensitivity in your character. Everyone does. Put yourself in their position. Know that an uncalled for reaction on their part has little to do with you, and everything to do with them.
6. Let them know you are in it for the long term. Tell them how much you care about them, and that you believe the two of you can work out small grievances. You are not running away from the challenge, and are committed to growing the relationship.