According to Cleveland Clinic, unexplained weight loss is an unintentional drop in body weight that occurs when there are no changes in the person’s lifestyle, diet, exercise, and general routine.
Unexplained weight loss has many potential causes, both medical and nonmedical.
These causes can range from mild to severe and be rooted in a physical or psychological condition. According to Cleveland Clinic and the Mayo Clinic, some of the conditions that can cause unexplained weight loss include:
Cause Of Unexplained Weight Loss
- Overactive or underactive thyroid gland-thyroid glands help regulate body temperature, heart rate, and metabolism
- Crohn’s disease (a type of inflammatory bowel disease)
- Celiac disease (allergy to gluten)
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Parkinson’s disease
- Heart failure
- Substance abuse (alcohol and drugs)
Unexplained weight loss can occur in anyone, however, those at a higher risk are people over the age of 65. Even a drop of only 10 pounds can be a sign of a serious condition in older people.
You should consult a doctor if you have lost 10 pounds or more without trying between a 6-to-12-month period, especially if you have other symptoms as well.
For more information on unexplained weight loss, visit https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/17770-unexplained-weight-loss.