The Paramount + hit TV show Yellowstone is coming to an end.
With half of season 5 already available to stream on the platform, Paramount Network announced last week that the show will be canceled after the conclusion of the current season.
Per Hollywood Life, Chris McCarthy, the President and CEO of Showtime/MTV Entertainment Studios, released a statement on May 5 regarding the show’s cancellation, saying, “Yellowstone has been the cornerstone on which we have launched an entire universe of global hits – from 1883 to Tulsa King, and I am confident our Yellowstone sequel will be another big hit, thanks to the brilliant creative mind of Taylor Sheridan and our incredible casts who bring these shows to life.”
The CEO of 101 Studios, David Glasser, added, “The Dutton story continues, picking up where Yellowstone leaves off in another epic tale. We are thrilled to bring this new journey to audiences around the world.”
The announcement comes just after rumors were circulating that the show’s lead, Kevin Costner, and the writer and co-creator Taylor Sheridan had disagreements over shooting schedules. The New York Post reported that back in April that there were issues behind the scenes but it is only now confirmed that the show will in fact be canceled.
Costner, who is also currently going through a divorce, reportedly wanted to only spend a week shooting the second half of the series. However, his attorney, Marty Singer, stated that the specificities of those rumors were false.
“The idea that Kevin was only willing to work one week on the second half of season 5 of Yellowstone is an absolute lie,” Singer said to Puck News in February. “It’s ridiculous — and anyone suggesting it shouldn’t be believed for one second. As everyone who knows anything about Kevin is well aware, he is incredibly passionate about the show and has always gone way above and beyond to ensure its success.”
Despite the many rumors and speculations, it does appear that season 5 of Yellowstone will resume sometime in November of this year, per CBR. However, the studio is already looking forward to the future of the franchise, with prequel shows 1883 and 1923 already having premiered, as well as a possible sequel series that will continue the Dutton family story and is rumored to star Oscar-winning actor Matthew McConaughey.
While it is yet to be confirmed that McConaughey will star in the potential sequel series, he has spoken of getting back into TV after having a busy couple years of writing and other projects as of late.
Matthew recently spoke of Dax Shepard’s podcast Armchair Expert, where he said, “I am now becoming more interested in actually going to play another character in a TV show because the last four years of culminating and writing and getting these things together and getting more into public service. The idea of going to act in the right kind of role, in the right kind of movie, film or series right now sounds like an awesome vacation.”
Regardless of the reasons the award-winning show is ending, fans will be pleased to know that the story will most likely continue, both before the events of the series transpired, and immediately after the much-anticipated conclusion.