Do you feel like you’re in the grips of a manipulator? Watch out for these signs that someone is trying to control you, and find out what you can do about it…
1. You don’t feel like you have a choice. When asked to do something for this person, you feel boxed into a corner. If you say yes, you’ll feel angry at yourself because you don’t want to. If you say no, they make sure you know that to turn them down is NOT okay.
2. You try to avoid their negative vibes. Whether you pass them in the hall or have to deal with them directly, they pull an “attitude.” And there’s no way around that.
3. Life is unpleasant. As long as you have to deal with them, you’re not very happy.
4. Subtle discounts. You ask for something, they are too busy. They gossip about you to their friends.
How to address this?
- Be direct and to the point.
- Speak in “I” statements.
- Once you say what you need to, stop talking. Don’t engage in an argument.
The points in the article are the opinions of the writer.