With summer on the horizon, this Raspberry Lavender Lemonade is an excellent drink option that not only tastes delicious and refreshing but may also bring you some surprising benefits. In a study published by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), it is stated that following lavender aromatherapy, subjects experienced reduced psychological distress, headaches, anxiety, and even decreased depression for postpartum women. Infusing a fruity lemonade drink with lavender is a clever way to reap the benefits of its relaxing aromatic properties. Here’s how to do it:
What you need:
1 cup white sugar + more for taste (You can use a sugar alternative such as Stevia if you wish)
1 cup water + one quart (4 cups) of water
9-10 medium-sized lemons
1 cup raspberries (1/2 cup for the lemonade and 1/2 cup for garnish.)
2-3 sprigs of fresh culinary lavender
fresh mint and extra lavender sprigs to garnish (optional)
Recipe makes 5 1/2 cups or about 4 servings.
Note about lavender:
Be sure to use a culinary lavender like Munstead. Other varieties may be for aromatherapy products and may smell too strong (if this is all you can find just use half the amount listed above). Most stores and garden nurseries carry only culinary lavender.
How to make it:
- First, make some simple syrup. Mix sugar and boiled water until it’s slightly thick.
- Prep the lavender by cutting off the stems and smash the blossoms.
- Toss your ½ cup of desired fruit and lavender blossoms into the water.
- Mash up the fruit and blossoms with a wooden spoon. Keep stirring as the syrup comes to a boil. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Pour into a Pyrex dish that won’t shatter and let it cool off for about an hour. Straining out the seeds and pulp is optional.
- Juice 8 of your lemons. Slice the other two for garnishes!
- Add 1 quart of cold water to the lemon juice.
- Add your simple syrup and stir! Taste and experiment with sugar for taste if you need.
Add ice and garnish with lemons, fruit, and extra lavender for even more floral scented goodness. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!
Disclaimer: There is no guarantee that lavender aromatherapy or lavender drinks will help different individuals feel calm.